Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Week 23: Tearful farewell in Fa'aripo, and the adventure begins in Bora Bora

This week was a crazy one! I knew that I would be transferring soon but I did not know exactly when or where I would go.  So I was a little stressed over that and the whole time I was thinking that I really didn't want to leave Fa'aripo! I mean sure, it's not the most beautiful part of Tahiti but it is still very nice and definitely my favorite part of Tahiti.  The people here are unbelievable, and I'm gonna miss them so much!

Monday we went to the store to get our PDay stuff and then went to the church in Papeete and played basketball with a bunch of other missionaries. Then we had FHE with Yanki's family and let me tell you that is always sooo much freakin' fun...haha! We shared a message about the forgiving of sins and it was really good! It was a great night!

Tuesday was kinda a downer (hahaha literally) because I fell off of my bike and destroyed my hand! Yeah, so they made me go to the doctor and it pretty much wasted my day.  It was kinda lame.

Wednesday: THIS WAS A SUPER SUCCESSFUL DAY! We decided to go on splits so we called Papi Tera and Yanki. I went with Yanki and Elder Elledge went with Papi. It was literally the most successful day that I have had so far! We had 16 lessons that day! I was really happy because my goal was to get better at contacting people and turning that into a little lesson, and I have really been working on that. I had this cool thought that day,  it is kinda hard and uncomfortable for me to just go up and talk to people without having any kind of connection, but yeah I just thought I really have nothing to lose and I will probably never see them again since I knew a transfer was coming.  So I just put it out there and wow! And then wouldn't you know it at the end of the day I got a call from the Assistant saying that I was going to transfer to Bora Bora, the Vaitape Sector!  I was really excited! 

Thursday: Elder Elledge and I were super tired because of all of the contacting the day before but it was ok, we did our best and worked hard through the day. We went to bed like an hour early that night!  Haha!

Friday: was another busy day full of contacting and lessons!

Saturday was sad because I had lessons with a lot of my favorite investigators and it was my last lesson with them.  I was kinda bummed, especially with Noel. In that lesson I shared my favorite scriptures like Alma 26:12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boastof my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

During that lesson he decided that he wanted to be baptized for real this time!  We set up a date for him on the 23rd of February and I really hope this happens for him! So yeah, I was happy with that it was hard to say goodbye to him! 

The Orbecks took all the Elders to dinner that night for steak and frittes (shouldn't they call them French fries here? This IS French Polynesia).

Sunday was my last day in Fa'aripo because my flight was scheduled for later that day.  At church I said goodbye to everyone and it was sad, especially with all the little kids.  I honestly cried saying goodbye to them! Then I made sure that everything was good in the house and then we left for the airport; I made sure I said goodbye to Aito (the dog haha) and even that was sad!  At the airport I checked in and all of my friends came with me! 

The Orbeck family and Sister Vatiani and her daughter Emelie were all there too. Ahhhh...it was so sad. And then I had to say goodbye to Elder Elledge and Duncan and Dalton...they were all amazing and I will miss them all so much.

Bro and Sis Orbeck seeing me off at the airport along with Vehia and Emilie

My Fa-aripo roomies saying get outta here: Elders Duncan, Dalton, Boyd, and Elledge

I arrived in Bora Bora and met my new companion. He is from New Caledonia and his name in Elder Puluiuvea. He has been here on his mission for 6 weeks so I am officially in charge of finishing his training! I hope I don't mess anything up! He is an awesome guy! I'm pretty happy because my old buddy from the MTC, Elder Sovereign, is here in Bora Bora so that is really awesome. Today we went on splits and Elder Sovereign and I rode our bikes around the entire island to show me all that is here.  It was pretty awesome! 

First Day in Bora Bora

This week was kind of sad because I felt like I left for my mission all over again! I left people that I love and now and it's like I just added more people on the list that I miss sooo much! But I have never regretted my decision to go on this mission. There are certainly hard times and many ups and downs, but when you put your head down and work, you remember that this is the most meaningful thing I can be doing right now!  It's crazy how that works!

Love you all and have a great week...I can't wait to meet the people of Bora Bora!

Elder Boyd 

Sisters and Elders from Utah in our last Zone Conference on Pape'ete

No comments:

Post a Comment