Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Week 85: Ua Huka My Nose

If you guys were to ask me how this week went I would probably reply "Holy moly it was nuts!", because holy moly it was!

A Marquesan Sunset
So Monday we went fishing with Brother Bonno and while fishing Elder Temahaga and I decided to move a little further out on the reef (because we were shooting for the big fish, even though in the back of both of our minds we knew we wouldn't catch anything :) ) and while we were out there fishing I was just chilling and then all of a sudden I get DRILLED in the face by a fish hook! Ha! Elder Temahaga's pole got screwed up and something happened with the string so, yeah, the hook flew up and caught me in the nose and made a huge gash on my nose! Haha! Elder Temahaga was freaking out, but I was totally ok -- even though I was bleeding ... a lot! 

Brother B and the other elders made me go to the hospital, and the doctors were super cool. They gave me a bunch of patches and stuff and cleaned it and (boom goes the dynamite) I was on my way! Don't worry mom, I'm ok! I don't understand why my nose has just gotten murdered in this life: in second grade I drilled my nose on a pole, junior year I shattered my nose by getting hit by a baseball, 

Broken nose from a baseball off a line drive to the pitcher (2014)
... and now I have some cool scars from a fish hook to add to that!

Tuesday morning we got everything loaded up and we took the boat to Ua Huka and wow was that cool. The Marquesan Islands are so pretty! The ocean was not very calm and we started to get sea sick.  Elder Ugbah got way sick! Dang! When we got to Ua Huka Sister Marie Christine and Marie Chantal came and picked us up and we got all settled in!! It's really good to be back in Ua Huka, because man I really, really love this area! 
The boat to Ua Huka - farewell to Nuku Hiva
Wednesday - Saturday: we spent a lot of time seeing investigators. Marie Christine and Marie Chantal had a whole bunch of people that they wanted to see and they have definitely been doing their part of the work! Because of them we have found a lot of new investigators!! They are really amazing. 

Basically the deal here is that there is really only one religion on the island and it's Catholic. The Catholic church and their leaders pretty much run everything here. Much of the community is full of Catholics who are pretty critical of everyone and they definitely talk badly about us!! Most of our investigators say to us is that the people here have a big problem with criticizing and it is hard on our investigators.  I can really see that a lot of people are searching for the truth in their lives but are SCARED to look for it! Now that we are staying here on the island full time it'll give more people an opportunity to learn the truth!! I totally feel like I'm in Joseph Smith times where we are trying to establish the church with just a few members and there is a lot of persecution and stuff like that! Ha it's crazy!!! I honestly love this place, and Elder Ugbah and I are working really hard. 

We are still teaching our investigators who have been taking lessons with us by Skype and it is so great to be closer to them! Aldo (the husband of Marie Christine) is doing super great! He is a hard worker and has a great desire to do what is right.  Melodie is my homie...you can tell that she has had a tough life. She was abused as a child but she is 20 years old now and has a big desire to do what is right.  She just has a hard time with smoking so we have her on a strict program! Julie is doing great, and the list goes on. We have a lot of work to do here. 

Sunday was crazy because we couldn't get conference here this weekend. The Internet is not great here, so we did a sacrament meeting.  It was the smallest sacrament meeting I have ever seen! We had just a few adults and their kids attend, but it was super great.  It humbles me to see the faith of these sisters that are so strong in the gospel in spite of the persecution and the trials!

So here we are again at Pday! Poi poi roa!!! (Shout out to my buddy Paxman) haha! We got up and went running, ate something, and did emails!

We sometimes take for granted the blessings that we receive everyday. This island has just begun to have an opportunity to receive the blessings that we have access to in our lives everyday! I'm so grateful for our Father in Heaven and that he has given me the chance to share His gospel with these wonderful people. 

Have a great week guys! Love you all!!


Elder Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment